Tap to Read ➤
● Once washing is done, dry the wet clothes under high temperature to let the fabric shirk, if it has to.
● Cut the dried cotton clothes into strips measuring quarter-inch in width and six inches in length. You can decide how shaggy you want the rug to appear, depending on which you can decide the length of the cotton strips.
● By the time you are busy cutting the strips, think of the pattern you want to design on the rug. If color shades have to vary in the rug, make separate lots of strips with different colors so that you don't face any difficulty while making the rug.
● Once you are done with the strips, it's time to cut the gridded mat of the required size. Take the measuring tape and mark borders on the grid mat for the size of rug you want, using a pen. Cut the mat along the border and proceed to the next step.
● To begin with, choose the shorter side of the mat and start tying knots right from its edge. To tie a knot, place a cotton strip under the mat and pull out its two ends above, from the squares of the mat that are side by side.
● Repeat this step to entirely cover the gridded mat with knots of cotton strips.
● After you have tied knots all over the mat, turn it upside down and shake it well to straighten the knotted strands for easy trimming.
● Use a pair of scissors to trim down the pile of the rug. Start from the edge of the shorter side and move towards the other end. You can decide how much you want to trim depending on the look you want for your rug. If you want longer strands trim less else, trim more for shorter strands.
● While trimming, look at the rug from a distance to check if excess material is being cut from the rug.
● After you finish trimming, flip the rug upside down and give it a nice shake to remove the remnants, and there you have your cotton shag rug ready for use!
Priyanka Kosta Sonkushre